Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Insane Summer School at Home Mandate

The summer reading list came from my son's school Friday - July 9. He is supposed read 10 books - one which is at least 300 pages - by the time he returns to school at the end of August. At the same time I get the list, I get a letter that he could benefit from reading help and, by the way, sign-ups for reading camp are Monday.
Come again?
After two parent conferences and no hint of any reading issues from anyone, I am a little baffled.
You would think school leaders would offer more notice to parents. But I think because my oldest is a well-behaved and a good student in general he falls through the cracks. No worries. We will pick up the slack because we can. But it is nonetheless maddening.
And this brings me to my second soapbox point.
Ten books?
 Really?
Does summer break resonate with anyone? I am not advocating slacking off by playing video games or sitting in front of the TV for hours, but why in third grade do you have to be on mission to Dartmouth? Why not choose one or two really good, educational books like "Johnny Tremain" and write a couple of paragraphs on the plot?
I don't remember this pressure as a child. Even my five-year-old is going through stacks of advanced sight words at pre-school.
I have to wonder whether - if by following this prescription - I am fostering a love of  learning or making it a chore that will cause burnout by the time high school rolls around.
My husband came home from a youth football coaching clinic yesterday and said the league commissioner said something important to the football dads. The man's son is being recruited by top colleges. He told the dads that not one of the recruiters asked how his kid did in third grade. Pee wee, he said, is all about learning skills and having fun.
Why can't the same thing apply to early academics?

4 comments:

  1. Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog.
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patty, I agree, learning skills and having fun is more important than getting a list of books read or things done. One of my friends' daughters is going into 2nd grade, and their school has them learn (I believe it was 10) new vocabulary words every week and get tested on it.

    I'm following you now from MBC Simply Follow. Come visit me at http://jinnialow.com

    Have a great day!
    Jinnia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again!! I'm now following your lovely blog.

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! I'm having anxiety just reading this..great choice of PJ's...Patty I love your blog ,I can totally relate as a mommy of 3 boys,ages 8.7.and 5

    ReplyDelete