Thursday, June 24, 2010

Pomp and circumstance on the preschool circuit

My little guy is graduating from preschool tomorrow. They even have mortar boards.
 I wonder if I would be less emotional if the pre-k graduates could just slip into summer and then into Kindergarten without any fanfare?
I had been noticing change was coming for me. His hand has felt bigger and less pudgy when clasped inside of mine. He seems taller in his 5Ts.
I had to start thinking about whether or not I should carry him when he would ask me on one of those extra groggy mornings. I never minded, really. But the weight of his 40 pound frame was getting more difficult to hoist and carry in high heels.
My baby is growing up. But he is not grown yet.
I remind myself of this often.
I've decided to to live in the moment for him and me.
 If I can still pick him up, I will.
 If he needs to crawl into bed with me after a bad dream, he can.
I am not going to say no, you're too big for that.
Judge me if you must.
When he tells he wants to be a big boy and let go of my hand, I will let him, begrudgingly, and never say a word.
I'll be close by. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment