Monday, May 17, 2010

The bud of confidence

I heard from one of my all time favorite teachers today. It was a random FB hookup.
The funny thing is, even after all these years, the impression she left with me remains.

She, or her belief in me, was the spark I needed to start seeing myself in a different light and listen to my gut instead of the high school mellowdrama that continuously buzzed in my ear.

I couldn't always hear that voice or heed it over the years, but even as I would drown myself out, the whisper that I was capable of more than I gave myself credit for remained.

My teacher taught the feared English class. And true to form, she was no softy.  I was 17 and a little perplexed that I somehow ended it up in a room full of the perceived smart kids. She didn't seem to notice.

We covered everything from the Red Badge of Courage to Shakespeare. I even wrote a research paper on Karen Silkwood.  I loved it.

My crowning glory was acing the Shakespeare test and getting the highest grade in the class.
My teacher gave me the highest  accolade - public recognition that bore a byproduct of confidence I had not known before.

I hope my boys will know this kind of teacher - the kind who pushes and encourages you to achieve more even while others say you don't have it in you.

She shaped my life. And it's a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment