Friday, December 23, 2011

Dear Santa

I fear this is my last "kid" Christmas with my oldest.
The doubts about you and your reindeer have settled in.
He's dropping hints.
 "Mom you use the same wrapping paper."
(I didn't think he'd notice. New moms make note.)
7 years ago....wow!
"Mom, have you gone shopping yet?"
When he questioned you in front of his little brother, I remained stoic.
Naturally, I pointed out The Polar Express story.
Are you sure you can't hear the bell anymore?
"Well I'm not really sure. I know the Santa at the mall is a fake."
So this year, I want one last magical Christmas, like when I was  hugely 8 months pregnant and went  early bird shopping, wrapped all presents and decorated the tree so he would have all of the holiday trimmings before his little brother robbed a share of the lime light..
I'm just not ready to give up the innocence.
And yet so it goes.
He moved into his own room a few weeks ago.
 I took down the old ABC wall quilt that used to hang in his nursery that later morphed into a toy room.
The patchwork baby blanket is now replaced with a Patriots football version of the same idea.
The transition makes me smile and cry at the same time.
Don't get me wrong, I love watching my little boy grow and grow.
I love laughing at his jokes, his love of history, and his size 9-1/2  feet.
This Christmas I am asking for a few more snuggles, one more exclamation of swearing he heard the reindeer on the roof, and the early morning running of not so little feet.
Then, I'll let go.
Pinkie swear.


2 comments:

  1. This warms my heart...I know how you feel about those little boys. Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe was just remembering that he got really suspicious when he realized that Santa's writing looked a lot like Dad's.

    ReplyDelete