Sunday, August 21, 2011

Remembering Bird by Bird...A BlogHer perspective

It has been two weeks since I came back from BlogHer'11 in San Diego. There was so much inspiration there, I am finding it hard to write at all.
 It's easy to get overwhelmed. Getting back to work, running around with the boys and killing myself with Jillian Michaels exercise videos is not always conducive to letting the muse flow. My suitcase, like the ideas running around in my head, still sits half unpacked in my room.
So I've decided to take a page from writer Anne Lamott and her awesome instruction manual, "Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life."
I don't have to do it all. I just have to lay things out bird by bird.
So let me start with my recap.
The single most important takeaway I have from Blogher'11 is that moms can change the world.
In two days at the conference, I met women and some men who were leading the charge on educating the world on topics like patient rights and the differently-abled .
I attended a mini conference for special needs parents and advocates and learned about and met women from groups like Moms Clean Air Force and Moms Rising that organize and raise their collective voice in an effort to ensure our children live in a healthier world .
There were also "blogHers" who spoke about educating children on saving and managing money so they might not begin their adult lives behind the financial curve.
As Gloria Steinem wrote in an HBO live chat about her "In Her Own Words" documentary recently:
"Mommy blogging is a great community for mutual support, and also for making social change. "
I"ll second that.

No comments:

Post a Comment