Sunday, November 1, 2009

Santa's got my back

"Mom, how does Santa see you? Does he have a telescope?"
This is what D wants to know on our way home from Bertucci's.
I am sitting in the backseat with the boys while Mark and my mom are up front.
"Sure..." I say and then hold my breath waiting for F to poke holes in my theory.
F's at the age where Santa could go either way. The magic is on borrowed time.
He says nothing though and his little brother has more questions.
"Does Santa have a dog?"
"I'm not sure. Maybe."
We start to sing "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" at the tops of our lungs.
"Does Santa see you when you cry?"
"Do you still get presents if your cry?"
I tell him yes.
It is OK to cry even though, technically, it is not what the song says.
I am ready for the "Santa threat" and all its useful behavior modification benefits that come with the winter season, however. I am not too proud to throw it out there...to use Santa when the brotherly fighting has hit the annoying crescendo or a bedroom needs some cleaning.
Uh Uh Uh, Santa's watching...
Oh yes that is a great XYZ toy...you'll have to put it on your list for Santa...
Getting out of stores seems less stressful with Santa on your side.
You don't always have to be the bad guy when you can play the jolly-old-elf card.
It is easy believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment